Friday, December 20, 2013

LEGO Tic Tac Toe Game (with packaging)

 I made 24 of these LEGO tic tac toe games with packaging (gifts for classmates of one of my kids). The inspiration for the packaging came from this flickr photo.

The only thing I needed to buy were the LEGOs because everything else was on hand at home. I got all the LEGO pieces from the pick-a-brick wall at a LEGO store.

 What you need:
  • 4 long narrow LEGO pieces (I used 1 by 16 white)
  • 5 square LEGO pieces in one color (I used 2 by 2 yellow)
  • 5 square LEGO pieces in another color (I used 2 by 2 red)
  • White card stock (8.5 by 11 inch)
  • Wax paper
  • Colored paper and hole punch (if you want to add confetti)
  • Sewing machine

 What you do:
  • Cut the white card stock in half
  • If you want to add confetti use a hole punch to punch holes out of colored paper on top of the card stock


  • Place LEGO pieces on top of the card stock
  • Place a piece of wax paper on top (larger than the card stock)
  • At the sewing machine, using a zigzag stitch, sew all four sides along the edges
  •  Cut off excess wax paper
 All done!

The approximate cost of this tic tac toe game is $2.00 each, but to cut down on cost and size, smaller and or thinner LEGOs could be used (these LEGO pieces happened to be the only ones available at the pick-a-brick wall that day that would work for this project).

PS These would make great party favors or class Valentines. In case you are looking for a LEGO Valentine, this past year we made mailbox necklaces. And sewing paper with wax paper reminded me of the heart shaped candy maze Valentines I made before.